A 13-year-old in Ohio has died after “he took a bunch of Benadryl,” attempting a harmful TikTok problem that’s circulating on-line, in line with a CNN affiliate and a GoFundMe account from his household.

Jacob Stevens was taking part in a TikTok problem with some mates at dwelling when he ingested the antihistamine, the household donation account states. Jacob was on a ventilator for nearly every week earlier than he died, in line with WSYX.

CNN has not independently confirmed his reason for loss of life.

Overdosing on Benadryl can lead to “critical coronary heart issues, seizures, coma, and even loss of life,” the US Meals and Drug Administration mentioned in a 2020 warning to the general public concerning the lethal “Benadryl Problem” on TikTok.

CNN Business reporter Clare Duffy TikTok experiment 2

CNN takes over a 14-year-old’s TikTok account. 17 minutes in, that is what we noticed

Jacob’s grandmother is doing something she will “to verify one other youngster doesn’t undergo” with the problem, she advised CNN affiliate WSYX.

In a press release to CNN, TikTok mentioned, “Our deepest sympathies exit to the household. At TikTok, we strictly prohibit and take away content material that promotes harmful conduct with the protection of our group as a precedence. Now we have by no means seen this kind of content material pattern on our platform and have blocked searches for years to assist discourage copycat conduct. Our group of 40,000 security professionals works to take away violations of our Neighborhood Pointers and we encourage our group to report any content material or accounts they’re involved about.”

The maker of Benadryl, Johnson & Johnson, has known as the problem “harmful.”

“We perceive that customers might have heard about an internet ‘problem’ involving the misuse or abuse of diphenhydramine,” the undated on-line assertion reads.

“The problem, which entails ingestion of extreme portions of diphenhydramine, is a harmful pattern and needs to be stopped instantly. BENADRYL® merchandise and different diphenhydramine merchandise ought to solely be used as directed by the label.”

“We’re working with TikTok and different social platforms to take away content material that showcases this conduct,” the assertion added. “We’ll look to accomplice throughout trade and with key stakeholders to handle this harmful conduct.”

CNN has reached out to the Stevens household and Columbus Public Well being for remark.

The FDA’s 2020 warning mentioned the company had “contacted TikTok and strongly urged them to take away the movies from their platform and to be vigilant to take away further movies that could be posted.”

Benadryl is an antihistamine used to deal with signs equivalent to a runny nostril or sneezing from higher respiratory allergic reactions, hay fever or the widespread chilly. It’s secure and efficient when used as really useful, the FDA mentioned.

“Diphenhydramine is marketed below the brand-name Benadryl, retailer manufacturers, and generics. It is usually accessible together with ache relievers, fever reducers, and decongestants,” the company mentioned.

Customers and oldsters ought to retailer Benadryl and different over-the-counter drugs and prescription medicines out of the attain of youngsters, the FDA mentioned.